- A 16-year-old has been charged after being accused of threatening to shoot his high school, local news reported.
- The teenager faces charges including aggravated harassment and terrorist threat.
- Officials claim the teen made the threat on social media.
A 16-year-old New York man will stand trial after being accused of threatening a “mass shooting” at his high school, officials said.
The unidentified young man was arrested and charged with aggravated harassment and terrorist threat. WABC TV reported.
The alleged threat to shoot down Belport High School in Brookhaven, New York, was made on Instagram earlier this week, the outlet reported.
The post prompted people to contact the authorities, who searched the 10th grader’s home. NBC New York reports. No weapons were found.
“We take these threats seriously and will use our resources to ensure the safety of our children. I thank the Suffolk Police Department for their swift action here,” Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a press release Friday. Upon learning of this threat, they worked with my office to locate the person responsible for Threatening and interviewing him.
The teenager was charged on Friday and a judge ruled that he is “only allowed home and office visits; no social media and must undergo alcohol and drug tests,” the press release said.
Tierney added that the incident was a “horrific joke that went wrong,” WABC-TV reported. The young man’s family described him in court as a “good student,” according to the news channel. His next trial date is May 31.
Read the original article on Insider
Source site 18