2022 – Liverpool demands an official investigation into the ugly scenes surrounding the Champions League final

The match, which Real Madrid won 1-0, was delayed for more than 35 minutes after Liverpool fans struggled to enter the stadium despite hours before kick-off.

French police used tear gas when their supporters were arrested in crowded areas around the Stade de France, causing safety concerns to spread among the attendees.

“This is the biggest match in European football and fans should not have to live with the scenes we witnessed tonight.

“We have officially asked for an official investigation into the causes of these unacceptable cases,” he added.

UEFA said the problem was caused by people without valid tickets trying to enter the stadium and that tear gas was used to maintain control.

“In the lead-up to the match, the turnstiles at the end of Liverpool were blocked by thousands of fans who bought fake tickets that did not work at the turnstiles,” UEFA said in a statement.

“This led to a group of fans trying to get in. As a result, kick-off was delayed by 35 minutes to allow access to as many fans as possible with real tickets.

“As the numbers outside the stadium continued to grow after kick-off, the police dispersed them with tear gas and forced them off the pitch.

He added: “UEFA understands those affected by these events and will urgently investigate this matter with the French police and authorities, as well as the French Football Federation.”

Pictures showed fans crammed into fenced areas after a bottleneck formed around a particularly narrow entry point at Liverpool’s end.

Many fans with tickets say they were denied entry to the stadium in dangerously crowded areas and contact with security was poor.

“People without tickets broke through the barriers and tried to get into the stadium to watch the match,” a Paris police spokesman told CNN. “These attempts led to mass movements.”

As confusion spread before kick-off, videos emerged on social media of people – with no clear affiliation with the team – climbing the fences around the stadium and falling to the ground.

The game finally started but there were many empty seats at the end of the Liverpool stadium.

“The vast majority of fans behaved in an exemplary manner, arriving at the turnstiles early and queuing as instructed,” said Merseyside Police, who attended the match as observers and advisers.

“Your feedback will be sent to the appropriate authorities as part of the debriefing of the game,” Deputy Police Commissioner Chris Green said in one. expression.

“We know that people were going to witness many horrific scenes last night and we wish all those returning from Paris a safe journey.

“Our focus today is to help Liverpool City Council oversee the Homecoming Parade.”

Tensions rose as fans stayed in crowded areas.

After the match, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said the team was aware of what had happened before the match and that their families were affected.

“I haven’t been able to speak to my family yet, but I know the families had a lot of trouble getting into the stadium,” he said.

“I heard some things that weren’t good, it was obviously very difficult, but I don’t know more about that.”

Nigel HuddlestonBritain’s sports, tourism and civil society minister said on Twitter that he was concerned about “disturbing scenes” surrounding the stadium and said his ministry was “working with stakeholders to find out what happened and why”.