Perez has now won three Formula One races

Sergio Perez won the Monaco Grand Prix after Red Bull Racing beat Ferrari.

The Mexican improved from third to the lead during part of the race in wet conditions after delaying the start by an hour after torrential rain.

Red Bull’s strategy also moved Max Verstappen from fourth to third, behind Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz, but ahead of his Dutch rival Charles Leclerc.

Thus, Verstappen consolidated his lead in the standings to nine points.

Meanwhile, Perez is only six points behind Leclerc after a grueling weekend in which he overtook Verstappen in qualifying and led brilliantly in the race to fulfill Red Bull’s improvisational strategy.

Leclerc, who took the pole in style on Saturday, was accused by Ferrari of strategic errors as he saw a comfortable lead turn into fourth in just four laps.

After the race red flag was set for the second time after 30 laps due to a bad crash by Mick Schumacher Haas in the pool section of the track, Leclerc asked if they would be satisfied to the finish from their current positions.

When they were told they would, Leclerc, knowing the difficulty of overtaking in Monaco, said in a sarcastic voice: “Oh, great.”

In the end, he said over the team radio: “There are no words. The season is long, but we can’t do it.”

The top four were close in the final 10 minutes – the late race had to be abandoned after 64 of the 77 laps due to time constraints in the rules – but Perez stuck to Sainz, Verstappen and Leclerc.

Hamilton traveled to the boat race in the sun

How did Red Bull do that?

When the race finally started an hour and five minutes late, he was two laps behind the safety car, with all the cars forced to run on “extreme” rain tires, before race director Eduardo Freitas felt it was safe to allow the free cars.

Leclerc immediately began to gain an advantage over Sainz, Perez and Verstappen behind him and was four seconds ahead of Sainz after 10 laps and 5.3 seconds after 16 when Perez pitted for the middle tyres.

Red Bull had directed themselves towards Alfa Toure led by Pierre Gasly, who stopped shortly after the start but was stuck behind the slower cars for several laps.

Once in the outdoors, the Frenchman set out to put his best foot forward, proving that the track was ready.

When Perez instigated, Ferrari immediately called Sainz on the next lap for the intermediaries, but the Spaniard refused, saying they should stay on the wet tires and switch straight to the spots for dry weather.

Two laps after Perez’s pitstop, Leclerc and Verstappen also had pitstops, but this was Perez’s pace, with Leclerc coming off behind Red Bull, albeit still ahead of Verstappen.

But that too should change soon.

After a three laps layoff, Leclerc was back again as Ferrari put both cars in search of compound hard spots, resulting in Sainz overtaking the lead and stacking Leclerc in the back.

But by the time Sainz played, Perez was only 3.9 seconds behind, giving him a comfortable lead when Sainz re-appeared.

After a lap, he brought in Red Bull with Verstappen because of his hard tyres, jumping in his lap and along with Leclerc’s struggle with tire temperature in his outside lap, the world champion jumped to third.

Within five laps, the race was interrupted by Schumacher’s crash. I restarted it, but the result is already settled.

In the last 10 minutes, Sainz started to put a lot of pressure on Perez, with Verstappen and Lerclerc directly behind him as the captain struggled with tires damaged on the first lap after restarting with a lock-up who also had shallow cracks and a lack of grip.

But Monaco built up its reputation as a place where overtaking is almost impossible and they queued behind the flag.

George Russell finished fifth at Mercedes after a strong weekend, beating McLaren’s Lando Norris, Fernando Alonso’s Alps and Lewis Hamilton’s second Mercedes.

Alfa Romeo’s Valtteri Bottas and Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel finished in the final points after Esteban Ocon was penalized for Albin for five seconds for colliding with Hamilton early in the race.

What with all the delays?

The start of the race was delayed by an hour and five minutes after heavy rain before the scheduled start.

The question arose as to whether it could start under the conditions prevailing at the time of the planned launch.

But after the delay, the FIA’s hands were tied after about 15 minutes of heavy rain, which made the track unsafe to race.

There were also questions about whether the FIA ​​had waited too long to resume racing and whether a second red flag was necessary for Schumacher’s accident.

what happened after that?

A two-week break before two races in quick succession – a brutal ‘double header’, first in Baku in Azerbaijan and then in Montreal in Canada.

About BBC - VoicesAbout the BBC Footer - Voices